Saturday, May 22, 2010

Sonrisa Orphanage, Nepal



As Yarrow and Lauren are working at the hospitals in Kathmandu (details here), I have been volunteering at an orphanage. The orphanage is located in the Northeast corner of Kathmandu in a suburb called Chandole. The nearest landmark is Chappal Karkanna (sandal factory).

At the beginning of our trip there was a Maoist strike and there was no public transportation so I had to walk. It was about 5km each way and my soft feet soon fell victim to blisters. The days were hot and I garnered a lot of looks as I wandered my way through the suburbs. What the heck was a kuirey (koo-ee-ray - slang for white guy) doing in the neighbourhood?! The best reaction I got was when I ran into the Maoist march parading through the city.

After just a couple days I then fell victim to a local gut bug and was out with a fever and GI issues and had to take a few days off. After I came out of bed rest I was back at it and by that time the strike was over and I was able to take public transport... once I figured out which bus to take, which proved to be quite difficult.

I usually arrived at the orphanage around 8:00am as the kids were finishing music lessons (bamboo flute and violin) or were coming home from traditional Nepali dance lessons. I was usually greeted at the gate by Phula. I was given the name 'Brother Matthew' which was quickly shortened to 'Brother'. 'Brother, brother, look'. 'Brother, brother, this'. 'Brother, brother, me'. I would join them for a dal-bhat breakfast served by one of the live-in care-takers, Auntie Gange. After breakfast all 15 kids brush their teeth and get ready for school. They wear a formal get up and put on their collared shirts, dress pants, skirts, ties and polished shoes. I would then walk the kids to school. It's a windy 1km path through Chandole. Most of the kids made their way on auto pilot but a few trouble makers got their little hands into everything and I had my hands full keep track of all the munchkins. I would then make my way back, trying not get get lost. The first couple of times I took my GPS. Below you can see a track of the path from our Hotel to the Orphanage and then to the school.
Once back at the orphanage I would help out with the odd chore and building maintenance and work on homework. Around 3 o'clock I made my way back to the school and picked up the 12 younger kids. We'd snake our way home in the narrow streets of traffic, heat and pollution and settle down for a snack of watermelon, juice and cookies. After snack it was homework time. Two tutors helped out the kids. I gave tutoring a try but when you don't speak their first language it is quite difficult to be effective. Homework time quickly degrades to reading books time.

I had a great time making 15+ new friends and all the children are very special. It is sad to hear their past stories but they have been given a great new chance at Sonrisa Orphanage. You can find out more information on their great website here: www.sonrisanepal.org
They depend solely on donations to operate and do not receive any funding from the government. Sonrisa elected not to give the kids up for adoption, raising them and taking responsibility for them until the age of 21. If you feel moved to donate and support this excellent organization please find more information here: http://www.sonrisanepal.org/get-involved/make-a-donation.php
I am also working with Sonrisa to get an online donation system operating so if you wish to donate that way please keep in touch.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is my first attempt at facebook. I couldn't resist reading about your wonderful adventure. I need your mom to come and teach me more about facebook. Love you both and admire what you are doing. Marcia

Hovan said...

Keep an eye on it and I'll bet that they eat the dahl baat about 3 times a day.

Glad to hear that you've found something really interesting to occupy your time. Brother brother you will be a blessing to all of the little children.

Jeff Richards said...

Good on ya, Matt!

Looks like a good time hanging with those kids. You learn any new Nepalese games? Play any soccer? Did you get a chance to show off your bamboo flute skills? :)

Keep up the blogging it's great to see what your up to!