Thursday, March 22, 2007

Time to Invest

Yarrow and I have jumped into the investing crowd. Yarrow would rather have a nap than talk money but she is very supportive. This year have been good and we are virtually debt free which is a real blessing. We did have to borrow money for our car and our RRSP contribution this year. Borrowing money for your RRSP is a great idea because it will take a healthy bite out of your income tax. For example I saved 20% on my income tax this year. Yarrow and I purchased our through our bank. It was a painless process. The only thing I'm not sure about is user fees! I forgot to ask about these. We invested 75% in a Balanced Fund and 25% in Canadian Equities.

Yarrow and I have also jumped into real estate! We went in with 3 other friends on a development project in Edmonton, turning 68 agriculture land into 2 acre parcels. My best man Scott Neufeld is heading the packing as he starts a career in real estate. The investment opportunity was presented to us as an inside family deal and promises a great return; enough of a return to pay for Yarrow's schooling which would be a real blessing. The land was purchased by Scott's parents, cousin and his cousin's business partner. The great thing about it is if the development doesn't go through council the money will be refunded to the investors. And worst case scenario is we will own 2 acres in Edmonton.

No comments: